Thursday, October 28, 2010

A reflection on gas guzzling...

Today as I drove around town it happened again. The gas guzzling SUVs seemed to drive off the road, role down my tongue, settle in my stomach, and spew fumes making me queasy at the materialistic obsessions of our culture. This spell wasn't as bad as others, but still undesired. I don't dislike Americans by nature, and I fight to be sympathetic to those who are unaware, trapped, and even purposefully ignoring the pains of humanity and their status with the ability of change.
No, I don't hate them or myself. It is certainly a struggle, but I won't give into to abhorrent judgement. But I realized something very important today, all I am doing is battling to remain neutral, proactively living inactive. But one important thing I learned in Tanzania is that Jesus' life, and his teaching are to not remain inactive; our life is to be active, and active in love. This is my focus. Fight the good fight. "ποι¦εῖ¦τε as you would have them do to you" (the greek verb is a present active imperative, i.e. requires action now and repeatedly.)

No comments:

Post a Comment